Australian Cacher Visiting Helsinki!

Yleistä keskustelua kätköilystä
Zalgariath

Australian Cacher Visiting Helsinki!

Viesti Kirjoittaja Zalgariath » Su 09.10.2011 17:07

G'day Everyone!

Firstly, an apology... I dont even know Hello in Finnish! :oops: But I am sure there are those clever people among you who are skilled in English!

Im Zalgariath and I am coming to Helsinki as part of a quick tour of Scandinavia at the end of October. I have 3 days in town on the 25,26,27th of October. Unfortunately this is mid week but if there are any English speaking Finns who would like to meet up for some caching or a beer please let me know! I will be translating as many cache pages in the town centre area as possible but it is always great to meet up with the locals too :D

I am even thinking of hosting a small event to meet some people on one of those nights if anyone can recommend a nice venue in town somewhere? For this I would have to be quick as I would need to submit it for review by tomorrow night hehe. If not it would be nice just to meet a few locals as I am travelling alone.

Hope to hear from some of you! :D

aku506

Re: Australian Cacher Visiting Helsinki!

Viesti Kirjoittaja aku506 » Su 09.10.2011 19:35

Hi!

Of course we speak English. I don't live in Helsinki so I can't come to meet you but I know there have been some events when some cacher(s) abroad come to Finland. There is some of them if you want to see.
Last two were in Helsinki. There was over 25 people in both events in Helsinki so I think there will be people if you attend event. Last one was also in middle of the week. Both Helsinki events were in restaurant Vltava. I've not visited there myself so I can't say anything about it. Both times that Vltava had a event some Finnish cacher reserved private cabinet, I think.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

Zalgariath

Viesti Kirjoittaja Zalgariath » Su 09.10.2011 19:41

Yes I knew your guys would be good English speakers... It is only us English naturals who are lazy when it comes to languages haha.

Thanks for the tips! I will wait to see what some other locals say and maybe then make some plans ;)

JasoX

Viesti Kirjoittaja JasoX » Su 09.10.2011 21:35

Nearly everyone speak english, so no problem there. Vltava is really nice place to host event. Private cabinet is free of charge if enough food/drinks are ordered.

Zalgariath

Viesti Kirjoittaja Zalgariath » Su 09.10.2011 22:08

Wow that place does look pretty awesome, and not as expensive as I was guessing Helsinki would be.

Mmmm Beer Battered Pork Ribs :D

Marjis

Viesti Kirjoittaja Marjis » Ma 10.10.2011 10:06

That's a good place to hold an event. Location is great and so is the food. I live 100 kilometres from Helsinki, but would be interested in participating if the event is on evening after work. Just a short journey by train. So count me in. :-)
Eniten kätköilyssä **tuttaa toiset kätköilijät.

marko77

Viesti Kirjoittaja marko77 » Ma 10.10.2011 10:38

Marjis kirjoitti:That's a good place to hold an event. Location is great and so is the food. I live 100 kilometres from Helsinki, but would be interested in participating if the event is on evening after work. Just a short journey by train. So count me in. :-)
Maybe I will participate too! 8)
"Minä haluan tietää, miksi kauan sitten sä et palannutkaan
Pian kadotin suunnan, helppo polku kaltevana vietti mutkaan"

Delenna

Viesti Kirjoittaja Delenna » Ti 11.10.2011 14:27

Delenna (with or without her Tehotytöt) would love to attend as well! I live in Porvoo (50km east from Helsinki) but have easy access to the big city :) I'm going to Australia in August 2012 for a week or two so it would be awesome to meet an aussie bloke (or sheila) and maybe get some hints of cool caches :)

Never been to Vltava either so I can't comment on that. I'm also working thus can't promise to get there but if the time is right...:)

Delenna

Viesti Kirjoittaja Delenna » Ti 11.10.2011 14:28

PS. hi is for example "hei" or "moi" in Finnish :)

Welcome to Finland!

Delenna as in Delenna & Tehotytöt

Gandal491

Viesti Kirjoittaja Gandal491 » To 13.10.2011 12:26

As one of the few foreign geocachers living in Finland, and one of only two geocaching Brits here (that I know of), it sure would be nice to meet up and compare experiences over something to eat and drink. Yes, that restaurant/bar/pub Vltava is pretty good, with a good selection of Czech beers!
Zalgariath kirjoitti:I am even thinking of hosting a small event to meet some people...
Any luck with the event arrangements?

Cheers,
Gandal491 (Phill)

LQ

Viesti Kirjoittaja LQ » To 13.10.2011 16:16

Zalgariath kirjoitti: ...at the end of October. I have 3 days in town on the 25,26,27th of October. Unfortunately this is mid week but if there are any English speaking Finns who would like to meet up for some caching or a beer please let me know! I will be translating as many cache pages in the town centre area as possible but it is always great to meet up with the locals too :D
Gandal491 kirjoitti:
Zalgariath kirjoitti:I am even thinking of hosting a small event to meet some people...
Any luck with the event arrangements?
As I read the dates, the geocaching.com reviewing window for this is about to close. So it wouldn't be a Groundspeak inc event, unless it is in the reviewing queue with as we speak.
But a meeting without event status or an event listed on some other more liberal geocaching site would of course do. Example1, example2.
Piilotettu: 12 Löydetty: noin 2000 +/- 1000, en minä tarkkaan tiedä...

Zalgariath

Viesti Kirjoittaja Zalgariath » To 13.10.2011 23:24

Wow what a busy week! Unfortuantely the 2 week deadline for a GC.com event has already beaten me as I have been too busy to make the arrangements :(

However I will still definately be in town for those 3 days so anyone who like to unofficially meet up please do say so and we can see what we can arrange. The best 2 days would be Oct 26th and 27th. They are a Wed/Thursday but I will be wandering Helsinki Caching and anyone is free to join me!

We can even go out for a beer or quick feed afterwards. I am couch surfing so may have my Host along too. He seems cool.

+353 851 767 787 That is my Mobile, James is my real name but if you use Zalgar I'll know you are a cacher ;) It is an Irish number btw.

Apologies again about the event, but if anyone is in town let me know!

Cheers Zalgariath of Sydney

Vastaa Viestiin

Palaa sivulle “Yleistä”